Sunday, September 13, 2009

T.P. Pumpkins - edited

edited 9/15

So, my previous post was about a new way to use toilet paper. You know, thinking outside of the bowl, I mean roll. (hehe) And, while there are many other uses for the this household staple my current use is to turn it into pumpkins.

Now, I have to give credit where credit is due. The seed for my creation actually came home in my daughter's backpack last fall. As a class project they made fabric pumpkins out of a toilet paper roll. I loved the idea. However, like most things I do, I have to add my own twist and do it my way. Don't get me wrong, I like fabric. I do. But I LOVE paper. Making things out of paper is just much more of my thing.

So, without further delay, here is my toilet paper pumpkin using fall pattern paper. (Remember Judy just stocked up on new fall papers)


And, in case you want to make one too, here's how I did it....


1- Gather Supplies. You'll need a roll of toilet paper and 2 or 3 sheets of pattern paper. To add interest to the design, I used two different patterns. And, I also chose thinner paper as it was easier to work with.

2- Cut paper into strips. No measuring needed, you just need several strips and if you want to add some texture, crumple the strips just slightly.

3- Wrap roll. Start by sticking one end of a paper strip into the center of the toilet paper roll. (if needed use a little Scotch Tape to hold it in place.) Then, wrap the strip around the outside of the roll and tuck remaining end of the strip into the center of the roll on the opposite end. Repeat this step until you have completely covered the toilet paper roll and your design is complete.

4 - Add details: I don't have a photo of this step, but to complete the pumpkin, just add a brown paper stem and some twisted green paper strips by sticking them in the hole at the top of the pumpkin. (see photo above for a visual)

And, while I prefer the paper covered variety, here's a look at one of them we made with fabric. I failed to mention that with fabric you just use one big square of fabric and you do not cut it into strips. Instead you just set the t.p. in the center of the square and pull all the fabric to the top of the roll and push it into the hole in the middle of the roll. It's easy but I still like the paper ones better.

Enjoy!
Amy

P.S. - Seriously! Pop into Judy's soon to see her new fall papers. Bo Bunny and Reminisce both have some great paper lines and to top it off, new Basic Grey will be arriving this week.

2 comments:

Mrs. Fence said...

Amy, these are so awesome! I love it! And I also love the new Bo Bunny papers at Judy's. I've been in to pick up a bunch already, and am going back tomorrow to get a few more. :)

Mona said...

Very creative -- as usual. Love the paper choices too and am always happy when we start getting away from the pastels of summer and into the deeper greens, organges, reds, golds, purples, and yellows of fall.