Fall is my most favorite time of the year. I like the cooler weather, I enjoy the comfort of a warm sweater and I love the leaves changing. It was made pretty clear to me today that fall is finally arriving here in Maine. For the first time in months, I had to put on a sweater in the house and the wind outside is just a bit too nippy for a short sleeve shirt. Plus, have you noticed all the fall and Halloween themed home decor that is hitting shelves in stores around town, Judy's included?
So, in honor of the change of seasons and for my sister Liz, today's Work It Wednesday is a fun little home decor item you can make to hang on your door. And, like all Work It Wednesday's, it's just another way to use up your paper crafting supplies.
What you will need:
- Wooden letters to spell out the word of choice
(I found mine at Walmart)
- Various scrapbook papers (you can find lots and lots at Judy's)
- Embellishments (if desired)
- Paint and paint brush
- Sand paper (if desired)
- If desired, paint the edges of the wooden letters and let dry.
- Trace your wooden letter onto the back of your paper and then cut the traced shape out.
- Add an even coat of mod podge to the wooden letter and adhere paper into place. Let dry completely and resist the urge to pop or mush any bubbles should you get them on your paper.
- Once dry, add a top coat of mod podge over the paper.
- When the top coat is dry, you can sand the edges of each letter and add ribbon to hang the letters together.
- Embellish as desired, (I added little ghosts I found at Judy's to repeat the Halloween theme.)
This is a really easy project that comes together rather quickly. You can do all sorts of words and for all sorts of occasions.
And, since we are showing Halloween stuff, you should know that Lisa Crosby is back and has an upcoming Halloween card class scheduled. Here's all the details:
When: Saturday, October 4th
Time: 10 AM
Where: At Judy's Shop
Theme: Halloween Cards
Description: This class is definitely a treat and there may even be a trick or too, but it's all fun! You will be making 8 cards all having to do with Halloween. Bring your favorite adhesive along with some foam tape or pop dots. Come join the fun - it will be bewitching!
If interested you can email or call the store to reserve your space.