Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Work It Wednesay - Frame it Up!

It's Wednesday and for today's post I'm channeling my inner wanna-be Pottery Barn self (does that even make sense?). I love looking through home decor magazines. They are always filled with such great ideas and awesome photos. The problem though is I'm as practical as they come and, I admit, a little cheap too. I have issues spending big bucks on things that I know I will just want to change when the next trend blows in. So, I've come up with some of my own ways to decorate that lets me be practical, allows for frequent change, and the best part - I can use my scrapbooking and paper crafting supplies to do it! After all isn't that what Work It Wednesday is about, finding ways to expand upon our craft?

In my kitchen I have a photo collage of some of my favorite photos of my family. I love it. However, every once in a while I like to change it up. One of the ways I like to add some changes is to simply add some cool papers in the frames. It's easy, it's really inexpensive, and I know I can find all kinds of cool papers at Judy's. I can swap out paper designs for each holiday or for special occasions. Here's a before and after so you can see how much just a little punch of color can change the look. (The papers I used are shown in the larger photo above - they are some of the new papers at Judy's.)

You can do this with any frame you have. You can even just group framed paper together to make a conversation piece in your home. Take a look around your home and take note of the framed items you have. Maybe they are wall hangings like mine, or maybe they are freestanding frames on your fireplace, either way, pick some paper you love and frame it. It will add a nice punch of color and will be a fun addition to your home.


And, here's another fun idea that is along the same lines. If you've got a lot of scraps hanging around turn them into art. You can do this on your own or get your kids involved. My upstairs bathroom is decorated with a fish theme. It's mostly used by my kids so I wanted them to help decorate it. I cut out some basic fish shapes on white cardstock and then let them cut paper scraps and glue them in place to make different fish. When they were done we added a googly eye and put their designs in a frame, instantly turning their work into art. It was quick, easy and I the best part again was using up some paper scraps and my supplies I already had on hand. You can try this with any shape or design: hearts, fish, flowers, light houses, etc...

So, there you have it. That's today's Work It Wednesday. If you want to give this idea a try be sure to check out the new papers at Judy's. They come in all sorts of amazing colors and designs.

Enjoy!
Amy

1 comment:

Mona said...

What a great way to use paper scraps and what a fun look to put into a child's room or even in some other room if the finished design is different. What a bout a flower or grouping of flowers, fruit shapes, some sort of significant icon (like a flag made out of leftover red, white and star shapes for 4th of July or various leftover greens to create a shamrock on the St. Patrick's Day or a tree at Christmas time) for various holidays?