Thursday, January 1, 2009

Just thinking....


Life seems to slow down the week between Christmas and New Year's. At least it does for me. I've had plenty of time to stop and think lately and thought I'd share a few of my thoughts. Perhaps you've been thinking too.

I'm by no means a scholar so even though what I'm about to say sounds smart, I'm no smarty-pants. If you want to know the names and difference between various shades of Bazzill card stock I'm your girl but Greek Gods, well, they aren't really my thing.

With that said, (here's where I sound smart - brace yourself!) did you know that the Roman God Janus was said to have two faces, one facing forward, the other back? It has become a custom on the first of the month that bears his name, January, to reflect on the year just past and to look forward to what lies ahead.

I've been thinking about just this thing. I'm not sure about you but I really struggled in 2008 to find that perfect balance between all areas in my life. My creative side was miserably left out and I missed it. As I look forward to 2009, I'm determined to make some changes and play a little more. I'm happier when I'm creating. And, in turn, so is my family.

As I looked back this last week and turned the pages in old albums I realized that 2009 marks 10 years of me being a working scrapbooker. In 1999 I had my first layout published in Creating Keepsakes Magazine and have had fortunate scrapbooking job opportunities along the way ever since.

It was a hard decision to make but as I look forward to 2009 I've let go of being a working scrapbooker. I've walked away from magazine publications and have committed myself to scrapbooking life, not trends and products, and because of this decision I'm really looking forward to actually scrapbooking for fun. I will continue to manage this blog and help Judy out with crops and projects but that's not work, that's fun and always has been.

Anyway, in thinking ahead I've made a list of projects I'd like to complete and work on. These aren't really goals or resolutions as I usually sabotage myself on those kinds of commitments, but instead, it's just a starting point. A place for me to get back into the hobby I love.

My first project is a quick look back. I've found family photos from every year I've been married and will do a quick, simple layout for each year. In looking back I can remember all the big events and even some small details for each year. I can never scrapbook (nor would I want to) every photo from every year but I can still document those things that stand out. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

So, that's me. That's where I am headed for 2009. What about you? What scrapbooking and paper crafting projects are you planning on completely this year? If you don't know, take a quick look back on what you've created in the past and then make a list that will help you look forward to the upcoming year.

And, while your creating this year keep checking our blog. Judy and I have lots to share with you in the upcoming year.

Happy New Year to you all!
Amy

2 comments:

Mona said...

I can't tell you how happy I am that you have not put this blog or any of your projects or plans with Judy onto your 'elimination' list. So many of us count on your continued creativity to keep us going. I have no idea what I'd put onto a list of projects I'd like to complete this year, but maybe just deciding to actually list my ideas when I have them might be a way of giving myself a jump start too. I love the book you have created, but then again, I don't recall ever NOT liking one of your ideas.

Here's to a happy a creative new year for you and for everyone else that reads this blog.

Mrs. Fence said...

I'm also happy that your plans include Judy and all of us who follow your blog. I love checking in and putting your wonderful ideas to use. I've made a few "pledges" regarding my crafting interests as well - the main one being to use what I have whenever possible, and to create something new every day!

A Happy and Wonderful New Year to all!